One of the biggest challenges for Brazilian businessmen in the current scenario is the large number of existing tax obligations. This factor increases bureaucracy and administrative workload, hampering and slowing the growth of many businesses. Thus, in the transport sector, this reality would be no different: the logistics costs, added to the high tax burden that weighs on the companies of transport of goods, logistics, industry and commerce, make the final product more expensive.
Therefore, it is of paramount importance to make investments in management, seeking to know what taxes are levied, in order to do effective tax planning and to have better control on this point, avoiding sub- payments or overpayments, resulting in tax liability and business losses.
With that in mind, we’ve prepared this article to talk about the top transportation tax obligations you should watch out for. Read on and check it out!
What are the main tax obligations of carriers?
There are several tax obligations of a carrier. Here we will cite the main ones with a brief explanation. Remember that being on the lookout for taxes is essential in establishing a good financial plan to comply with your tax obligations.
- IRPJ – Corporate Tax: it is a federal tax which must be paid by legal persons and sole proprietorships with an active CNPJ.
- CSLL – Social Contribution on Net Income: This contribution was created so that legal persons (PJ) and all persons insured by Income Tax (IR) legislation can financially secure Social Security.
- PIS / PASEP – Contribution to Public Service Heritage Integration and Training Programs: the purpose of this federal tax is to finance the payment of unemployment insurance, allowances and participation in the revenues of agencies and entities for public and private workers.
- Cofins – Contribution to the Financing of Social Security: it directly affects business income.
- IPI – Tax on Industrialized Products: focuses on industrialized products, whether foreign or domestic.
- ICMS – Tax on transactions related to the movement of goods and inter-state and inter-municipal transport services: state tax which falls on various occasions, such as circulation of transport services, communication activities, supply of goods, etc.
- INSS – National Institute of Social Security: Federal tax which aims to raise funds to support social security, through the “Instituto Nacional de Seguridade Social”.
- ISSQN – Tax on services of any kind: municipal tax levied on any service, including transport.
How important is it to be in compliance with tax obligations?
As you can see, there are a lot of taxes levied on carriers. Taxes have different payment terms and it is essential that businesses take care not to delay or pay them. In addition, non-compliance or non-compliance with tax obligations can jeopardize the business. Do you want to know how? Looked!
It can be qualified as an offense of tax evasion
Non-compliant companies can be prosecuted for tax evasion. And it does not depend on the reason for the default: whether through bad faith, lack of resources or planning, non-payment of taxes can generate high fines, with interest, lawsuits with confiscation of the assets of the company. business, and in some cases even up to the arrest of the responsible businessman.
Prevents the company from participating in public offers
The delay and tax evasion prevent the issuance of the Debt Clearance Certificate (CND). Therefore, your company will not be able to participate in public tenders, since in tendering processes NDT is required at a certain stage of the process.
Limits the chances of obtaining lines of credit
Another benefit that is compromised when the business is not in tax compliance is the possibility of credits or financing. Indeed, banks and financial institutions also require the CND, which can only be issued when the company has no tax debt.
Why effective tax planning?
Now that you know the importance of paying your tax obligations on time, knowing how to do effective tax planning is essential. This planning aims to organize and ensure the correct payment of taxes, reduce unnecessary expenses with interest payments and fines in your institution, keep the company’s budget more stable, generate greater financial and legal security.
In doing so, it becomes more viable to reduce amounts overpaid, keep your business able to meet with tax authorities, work with large clients, participate in public tenders, and monitor audit institutions. , without having municipal, state and federal debts. Therefore, we will present you with some tips on how to achieve this plan in your organization.
Pay attention to the legislation
It is important to point out that tax laws vary in part from state to state in the federation, and can change all the time, and it is mainly because of this factor that entrepreneurs should be aware of. By doing this, your business is less likely to have problems with the tax audit later.
Nothing replaces the work of a good accountant and a good tax lawyer, which we strongly recommend that your business have the assistance of these professionals, however, it is also important that the entrepreneur remains up to date and vigilant. To ensure that there have been no changes in legislation, it is important to pay attention to information portals and amendments created by federal, state and municipal governments. You can check these changes on the Brazilian government website and other portals.
Be sure of your tax regime
Making the wrong tax choice can cost you a lot more than your business intended. Thus, it is essential to analyze whether the choice made falls within the income standards of the organization.
The main tax regimes are: Simple Nacional, Presumed Profit and Real Profit. Make sure the plan you choose is income-correct and, if right, for you, from a tax perspective. Remember: neither plan is better than the other, but each has its own particularities, advantages and disadvantages, for each type of organization and for each moment of your business. It is interesting that once a year you are assessed by a competent accountant whether your business is included in the most appropriate tax regime at the moment.
How can specialized software help with tax obligations?
In the midst of such complex tax legislation, and with rules that change frequently, the use of technological means has never been recommended, the use of management software is therefore essential to contribute to tax compliance. of your company.
Using this technology can add many benefits and help fulfill several important actions, such as tax obligations. In addition, it will be a very effective means of ensuring the health and financial control of your business, providing much more longevity and recognition in the market.
Thus, we will highlight below the main advantages of software compared to tax obligations:
- centralization of information;
- ease of meeting deadlines;
- reduce the likelihood of errors;
- ease of dissemination of the new rules throughout the company;
- helps to comply with legislation.
Here are some of the many benefits that business software offers your business. For these and other reasons, it is an important tool for businesses in today’s society to comply with their tax obligations. In this regard, Datamex should be highlighted as a good option for carriers and logistics operators looking for a good partner in this segment.
Want to know more about how we can help you with this? Contact us!